Vintage Sideboard Kitchen Sink Unit

Vintage Sideboard Kitchen Sink Unit
A great upcycling idea!

This is going to be my kitchen sink unit. It was, of course, a sideboard - picked up for £50....what a bargain! I managed to find the perfect ceramic sink from our nearby builder's merchant and, as it was an ex-display pieces, got it half price. So lucky! It's perfect for the sideboard because it has a lip at the back, which will push up against my tiled wall.

I removed the top of the sideboard and took out the drawers. I then removed the drawer fronts and glued them back into the holes. Then, I had to carefully remove areas of the sideboard to accommodate the sink. The sink was initially going to drop into the sideboard and catch on the outer walls, but that would have required a lot of cutting away and potentially weakening the structure. So, as the sink seemed happy to sit on a solid level (the drawer shelf), I decided to leave it there. That, however, meant there was a gap under the sink...as seen in the photo. After much contemplation, I decided the best solution was to slot in some hardwood, routed off to form a nice rounded edge. It will stick out a couple of inches, which I think will look good protect the edge of the sink from clangs.

I'm going to lightly rub down the sideboard to reveal its natural oak colour, which is lighter than its current colour. Had I bought a sink unit like this, made in solid wood, it would have cost me thousands, so I'm very happy I decided to do things differently.


No comments:

Post a Comment